Monday, July 21, 2014

Now Playing: Tomb Raider [2013]


Well this is odd, but good. In a turn of events since Legend, I've finally found a bit of enjoyment from the Tomb Raider series. Underworld isn't so bad after that opening puzzle I was stuck on, and in the meant time while I try to acquire the full game cheap I decided to go back and revisit the reboot on PS3. I wanted the definitive version, but its not worth a $30 price gap when a perfectly good game is that much cheaper. Like I said in the last article, knowing when something is "good enough" is a better way to live and save. Maybe I'll revisit it when its at a more sane price. I also said when discussing Legends that this game of the subject today was overrated... I still hold that up a good bit and for the same reason. In addition, going back I'm amazed by how much its lacking in options. No alternate controls, no aim tweaks aside from sensitivity, no HUD changes or way to remove tutorials in a game that's 70% cinematic, and to add insult to injury the subtitles are terrible blocky TV style ones and the audio settings can't help make up for a difference between voice and sound effects. Still despite all of that... I'm enjoying the game far more than I did last time.

It sounds weird to talk about a cinematic game being better the second time through. That's the exact opposite of what you'd usually expect, and is proven to be lesser with games like Last of Us, and even open world games despite how they have more in the gameplay department than Tomb Raider here. I guess its because I set my expectations better, and came in with more understanding for where the series came from, and what this was trying to do in both the same-ness and difference. The old TR was a unique gem of a game series where the platforming was literally Jump Puzzles (in any other place that's a very stupid and contradicting term) with how complex, thoughtful, physics based, and time centered they were while the game also tossed in environmental puzzles and loose but unique auto-aim acrobatic combat. It was an adventure game that stood out as very unusual but interesting. The reboot... is incredibly familiar and mainstream at face value, but underneath the surface is about just as unusual as its older games. Its basically zelda/metroid style adventuring hidden under an uncharted-like 3rd person action game that does uncharted's job a little bit stronger in many categories (for better and worst). It technically has more complex stealth, progression upgrades, more impact on its gunplay, a hunting system, more intrusive cut-scenes/scripting, heavier set-pieces, and a heck of a lot more quick time events. However in the process of all that it also plans the levels and upgrades around a very linear system that is identical to metroidvanias, where you come across an upgrade or tool that suddenly lets you interact with a certain piece of terrain, and then your expected to remember where you've seen it in the past to go back if you want to be a completionist. This has an interesting effect that tweaks both of what you would expect from the genres, and that's what killed it for me my original time around... well that and the heavy scripting.

Uh oh, scripted wolf sequence #4! Mash square to keep your leg!!!
The game doesn't do itself any favors to help me keep my expectations right. People all over the place compared this to Uncharted, but where as that game gives you a plot and picks up on diverse combat, enemy types, globe trotting, and keeps you in touch with your input even during scripted events, Tomb Raider has like none of that for the first 3-4 hours but more scripting and more obnoxious QTE events. In the end the metroidvania structure also requires you to basically have just 4 weapons that serve with upgrade and tool-like abilities. While I usually love a game that lets you carry all weapons, uncharted's charm with this is that your always scrapping by with ammo, hot swapping weapons, saving the right weapon for the right enemy, learning the map on the fly, and adapting to each and every weapon.... all of this in just the typical combat scenerio due to the modern inventory system. Tomb Raider has the same 4 weapons, and usually puts one enemy after the other in near single file lines. I was pissed that this was being compared to uncharted's experience, and was disappointed and appalled by the game's attempt at it. Like a week after I had played it though... the thought hit me, it was freakin' Zelda in disguise! Not only that, but a much better, much more atmospheric take on it with better combat. Because I had rented it, I had no way of going back to hunt for animals, no reason to stick and stare at puzzles, and no reason to use the fast travel camp system. I had missed half the game in an attempt to play this as a 3rd person shooter. Fuck you game community, I seriously believe at least of the quarter of the blame lies on the perspective people gave this game. I still take credit for rushing it a bit much, and leaving some stones unturned, but still... giving me this constant stream of "oh, its such a good 3rd party uncharted" crap is the wrong view to go in with.

Now that I've got it again and started a new profile, and got the better mindset on and slowly observing every detail and terrain, as well as making a couple better combat choices, its not quite the rail shooter ride I thought it was originally. Also the story and cinematic presence is still just as good the 2nd time around, and I do appreciate the hard work square did on that aspect. Even the first time around, the story, visuals, and setting had me gripped and loving it... hey, I had to enjoy something to if I finished it. Now its just as good going back, aside from tutorials and all the whining I'm surprised Lara does (the attitude differences between new and old are just jarring and bothersome). Its actually kind of fun to explore around now, hunt, and try some weird combinations with combat, go for trophies, and just be immersed in the setting. I'm also doing more backtracking now that I understand it actually has some value to it. Speaking of which, that's where the game improves on metroidvania by being a 3rd person shooter. While the shooter element may have been comprimised by limiting its arsenal, the backtracking is comprimised by being extremely optional and the tools you use feel more realistic and necessary than something like Zelda where its one big obvious colored key hunt to get specific item with specific hook/door/switch. I'd rather be blasting a barbed wall with a shotgun, or using rope arrows to make tethers than traversing one of Zelda's dungeons, or getting locked out of Metroid's door because its a funky color that requires a certain missile. Part of the enjoyment is also just more letting go of the mechanics, and more of enjoying the literal adventure within an adventure game. Speaking of which, I also just wanted to go back to the setting. The dark, wet, and gritty island mixed with culture and elements is just a really well presented fictional world to traverse, and its a lot of fun even if it is the only place in this Tomb Raider. Some of the set pieces are still just a bit too intrusive, and even in a weird way that they still force you to move while also taking the control out, but its still more tolerable this time around rather than that feeling that it was the only thing this game felt like it offered between story bits. So... I'm kind of glad to be back to one of the most overrated titles of 2013. I'll still feel that way, but I can't deny its a lot of fun to run back in and try to be immersed more in the world than the mechanics. I was also surprised to find myself in a real and functional MP match, and I'll give that more of a fair shot once I'm off of Comcast's craptastic connection. 

There's some unfinished business left here, and its fun to be back

I still kind of wish Crystal dynamics had the TR: Legend formula to work with, but honestly I'm still glad the reboot exists. I'm very curious about what they'll do with the sequel, especially given its name and Lara's experience. I think we're going to see it be a little more familiar to the older games in a good way, hopefully with a better more uplifting personality, clever wit, more varied weapons (maybe dual pistols), and just a better refined experience. Hopefully a lot less scripted BS. Until then though, I'll be trying to finish this game (maybe 100%... maybe) and trying to get my hands on the PS3 trilogy of the older Crystal dynamic TR games. I really want to play Underworld.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...