Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Now Playing: Skylanders Trap Team


This'll actually be broken up into two parts since this is such a weird ongoing series to just jump into. I feel I have enough discussion to bring to both blaber about it for far too long, and then describe my actual experiences separately. So... lets go to skylanders?

Ramblings on a weird series


Okay so I've had my eye on this series for a bit, but never took it seriously with its extreme price. I originally saw it back when it was just Spyro's Adventure, and... I actually took it better than most fans. I suppose we were coming off that time when old fans were still bitterly hating on it, and there were new fans behind the terrible (but still cult followed) Legend series, so naturally the 3rd entry was worth double the hate to many. Personally though... I saw it as a platformer. I saw a deformed spyro running past flames and other obstacles, beating up simple little enemies, and charging through lands held up in the skies by some seemingly (but unexplained) enchanted force... all of that like the old games. Sure spyro was ugly and activision was just dragging his beaten form through another property because some idiot marketing group pretended like new kids would totally know who spyro was (and that's even putting aside the fact that their spyro didn't resemble past spyro). Still that aside, nothing was new. Spyro wasn't ever showing signs of magically beaming back down to an eager Insomniac team, he was already ruined both visually, and gameplay wise with the beat 'em ups and sub-par games under the in-between stages of the franchise. Skylanders did nothing new and wrong, if anything it was closer to its older form than what we had for the several years LoS happened. However... I also got carried away thinking it really was a new 3D platformer, when it actually didn't even have jumping. So all my rambling aside, it was all in vain when I found out no true platforming was there at all.

That's not spyro... but I'm used to that by now


However upon returning later on to listen to the more mature fans discuss the game's merits, I was called out for saying I didn't like the lack of a jump button. It was apparently added either in swap force, or Giants. Nice! So where do I sign up for one of these games? Oh $75 entry fee, and then you can't even beat the whole game until you put down quite a few more. The estimated costs were running somewhere around $150-200 for this stuff. I don't like bad DLC practices, nor F2P paywalls, and this was that in overdrive with an entry fee worse than any full game (or whatever passes for "full" now). So naturally I didn't want to get in on this unless I found more reasons to. ....and I did.

I kept coming back and looking at the game, wondering how it actually handles. Is it just some game where you're a character that just smashes crap up from A to B? Was it like diablo where you're constantly getting loot and leveling up things? Is it finally like a 3D platformer about the obstacles, characters, and exploration? I couldn't figure it out until I looked really deep. Meanwhile the last major and good 3D platformer I played was... well Sly Cooper 4. Even Mario disappoints in that area now. The world of 3D platformers was drying up, and while some are coming with the new R&C, andd indie projects, what was there now? I just really wanted something a little new in that area, and skylanders just felt perfect. everybody else was comparing it to Diablo, so my imagination ran with the idea of Spyro mixed with Diablo. But that price... oh hey, PS4 version of trap force is $24 off amazon, and somebody owed me around $30 at the time. I researched hard into that specific game entry and worked out a deal and put some money down and ended up with the following:

-Trap Team Starter kit: $24

-Tuff Luck (trapmaster figure): $15

-Out of the box 3 set figures (shroomboom, funny bone, and chopper) off ebay: $7



My total was nearly $50 for a game that others are still selling for well over that much just to start with. I got in at a good time with plenty to test it with. I've heard from some upset fans that this may have been one of the lesser games to go with compared to giants or swap force, but honestly out of what I read in reviews and researched myself I'm having a hard time feeling bad about going with the higher up stuff. If I need to go backwards, that's pretty easy. That being said, this is also what I've grabbed so far to have had first impressions with. Did it live up to my expectations though?

The game so far...



So there's no getting around the fact that I've really enjoyed my time with the game so far. I've sunk quite a few hours in it, lose track of time, and have already maxed out a couple of characters in terms of abilities (not the actual level cap (highest is level 10 tuff luck)). At first though I was a little disappointed, and a little confused. The controls are very simple limiting your attack moves at first and already downplaying the ARPG aspect. Jumping is a unified loose thud, with a camera that is fixed and never moveable. Then upgrades are... well very odd. Basically you're upgrading a character by purchasing their stuff as though it were some store bough item, and you've got to collect it all before you can move onto a 2nd tier path choice. So you're essentially crossing things off a shopping list rather than truly getting XP. XP itself however is still present, but its just a completely passive effect that buffs things like your health. Its so weirdly passive that the game doesn't mind giving away free level ups as though it were just another power-up that comes in a reward box. So diablo is kind of out the window, as your really not getting anything close to a real ARPG or build developing kind of game. Meanwhile the game was totally patronizing and playing up its kiddie demographic, spamming the same tutorial messages, and being pitfully careful about itself, only reminding me of the adult world when stopping to ask for more skylander and cash to pass doors in the tutorial level (where you'd think it'd be a smooth ride tailored for people who only just got the starter kit).

So why was this so much fun then? Well it hit me in the arena mode area, which is amazing in itself. The game wasn't just some random ARPG or 3D platformer combo, but rather it was ridiculously familiar to one specific game that already loosely combines the two things: Ratchet and Clank. I was sitting there with my 6 figures swapping them back & forth, memorizing their moves and weaknesses, going into each new area wondering who would be most suitable, and most importantly: who needed the exercise in grinding? I was using characters in place of R&C's weapons. Then there's the random door puzzles, the lazy NPC that thinks he's the best hero ever, the colorful world, the fact that you HAVE to go back to levels to unlock small tokens or new powers, and all the extra activities for gold stuff to do. This was Activision's Ratchet and Clank, and aside from some gripes in its execution I'd say they made a really great alternative while fans like myself wait on a true new game in the series. R&C does everything better and cheaper, but still this game is undeniably fun for some of the same reasons. I don't exactly think they made it feel like it intentionally, but I find it quite funny that Skylanders is poking at two of the best Insomniac franchises ever.

So okay dropping all comparisons, the game is just fun. I'm running around, doing missions, trying the arena, then I'll run off to do something else, try to scratch some change up to make sure I can buy X upgrade, replayed a level, experimented with villains, etc. There's just so much to do. Love the arenas, the card game is a nice little distraction, the villain tag team piece is a nice power-up style concept, and I just generally enjoy the game. I do wish hero upgrade structures were a bit more complex though (and that you could actually change paths), but I suppose there could be numerous reasons as to why they're kept pretty simple.



The game still has its share of issues though, and we're not just talking about the figurine stuff. I wish the kiddie pandering was less present. I'm all for a friendly welcome atmosphere for all ages, but there's a clear difference between good writing that suits all ages, and writing that makes you feel terrible if you're participating above the age of 8. I get that there's different things for different age groups, but as a person who grew up around 3D platformers and quickly ditched the putt-putt pre-school crap, I can tell you even a little kid that can barely comprehend most games will still appreciate a truly well done family game over one that just baby talks you unnecessarily. You can have a cutesy mascot, silly catch phrases, and cheesy puns, but going any further is going out of your way to alienate people of just about any age but kindergarten. While Skylanders is very simple and markets to younger kids, it mechanically works for any age group and should be capable of using that. Its just that writing they chose makes it so forced into the kiddie territory, and it simply doesn't have a big benefit and feels more like an amateur decision, especially this late into the series where they know there are more than just kids playing it. Yet the funny thing on top of all this is its not even gamer friendly all-around in its presentation. There are very basic things they never address, even in simple tutorial fashion. Don't get me wrong, its completely refreshing to have a game let you figure things out, but when I'm getting stuck for a moment like I'm missing a page in a game that has otherwise been treating me like an 8 year old it feels polarizing and just reminds me that once again the game was poorly written in a few areas. Why can certain skylanders change their paths? Never brought up. What does this statistic do? Take a guess. What does the gate off to the left of the acedamy do? I think its a DLC based portal, but that's only a guess. Even the NPC specifically there to tell you about it, doesn't actually tell you about it. How does this puzzle mini-game work? uh... just push buttons until you figure it out. It gets more complicated later, but you'll just get it. That's the sort of attitude the game takes while also somehow pretending every player is barely in elementary school. Just bad design guys.

Second major issue is that leveling up has a system in which you can't change your paths, except for shroomboom for some reason. I just don't know why they'd leave it out for skylanders unless its to make you buy two figures, but even then you've got that inconsistency where you can change the path on some. It just doesn't make sense. I also don't quite feel great about the Soul Gem system. Make them collectibles that play a promotional role and help your completionist goal, but don't force characters to collect them in some nonsensical linear order. Why do I have to wait until near the end of the game to get my well experienced and ridiculously rich trap master's final ability just by the random chance that her soul gem was put there? And don't give me any balancing excuse, there are some amazing stuff like chopper's rocket spam that you get early on. meanwhile the one I want is just a small area of effect damage attack.

Still in general the game is a lot of fun. All complaints aside I'm glad I gave the game a good shot, and I really would like to buy a couple more things for it just to go a little further into the side stuff. I still lack any presence of a fire, magic, earth, or air type for anything. I might also give a look into the older stuff, since my portal is backwards compatible and swap force by itself is just $5 on the PS4. Still first thing is first, and that means finishing the game. One last odd compliment I will note though is that for an annually released kids game, the polish and lack of updates is amazing and its kind of weird that this is just one of those games that perfectly accomplishes that rare mark of release quality. I guess kids still have it good, just like it was in the PS2 days for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...