Saturday, November 21, 2015

Microtransactions done... right?


I'm late to this party with the example I want to speak on, but its fairly relevant in my own findings so... Trials Fusion has microtransactions. It looks eerily close to what I see in some F2P games as well, with colorful and silly cosmetics chiming in on top of gimmicky golden acorn currency, which you buy from the store. Yeah, I know the typical response to this kind of thing...


However I actually can't say I mind... much. I mean don't get me wrong, there's still something unnerving about seeing a great game suddenly showing up with one of the most despicable and growing practices of the current gaming scene. Plus on top of that, its kind of weird to see gimmicky currency (the normal grind currency was normal $ to) allotted to costumes rather than the costumes themselves being sold at $1-4 a piece on the store. Kind of overcomplicated guys. That aside though, I can't find much of a problem, and even the currency gimmick could be considered a good thing when you see that it counts for tourney wins which means you can technically grab the best costume you see without paying a dime.

Look, Trials came out spring of last year (2014), has been under big support since with updates adding more content to the game like female riders and enhanced online features, and on top of that there's been a steady string of normal DLC as well. In the end you basically have a really well supported and enjoyable small downloadable title (with physical release supported as well, thanks Ubi), and the team has proven time and time again that they're all about having fun with creative and interesting designs and a sense of humor to their game. If a year or so later they decided to add in a bulk of costumes, and charge you for them with mobile game type currency, then that's just as normal as any other DLC for all that I care. They didn't owe me these costumes, they didn't build a game around it, and they didn't really take away anything there. Heck if anything I'd rather complain that they replaced the menu with the Awesome edition stuff, when I haven't even bought that expansion, and prefer the old sci-fi tone that fits with the actual game I own more so than the Awesome edition that looks like internet meme vomit.

Still riding off into the sunset just fine
Now that being said, I do worry that there's potential for this to go wrong in the future. I worry that this will be done ahead of the next game, and for both reasons of lacking interest and principle I still wont support its implementation here just to be on the safe side. Lets hope that doesn't happen though, and hope that we can continue to look at Trials Fusion as a good example of microtransactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...