Thursday, December 1, 2016

PSA: Skyrim SE's older TV issue

UPDATE:

Welp, Final Fantasy 15 now has the same issue, putting to rest the idea this was somehow attached to upscaling textures in a re-release. Now brand new games are coming out, brain dead and oblivious to the notion that they can in fact add screen adjustment functionality. Stuff like the MP meter is cut out, and Square had to say they need to patch this soon. I say to both Skyrim and FF15...

USE THIS! PROGRAM YOUR DAMN GAMES RIGHT!

Original:


So as I recently wrote about, I've been playing Skyrim. I usually don't go into details on my set-up and life, but basically that session of Skyrim was on the working bigger screen end of things. Now switch between that, and my other house where I have a smaller (I want to say it's 29'', maybe 21'') Vizio TV that I got mid 2010. Both are HD 1080p televisions, though I recognize only my bigger TV represents the full effect well. However when I got home and set up my PS4 to the smaller TV, happily booted up Skyrim, I realized the menu was loading with pieces going off screen. No worries, I might have to just reset the PS4 for the screen size option to read! Nope. Tried fooling with a couple more options, but it was always the same. Skyrim didn't fit the TV, and ignores the supposedly universal PS4 screen settings.

So naturally, I looked the problem up, and found the solution wasn't so easy for everyone. A lot of people on the corners of the net are having this problem. Some people fixed it by toggling some settings, like fit screen, or turning off overscan, but either way Skyrim SE was one of the first games with this issue and not everyone is getting an easy fix. One guy went into some kind of deep engineer settings for the game to get it to work, others can't find any of the previously mentioned settings, no engineer code or secret, and no way to get Skyrim working right. I fit into that camp, and can't see my statuses entirely, my item menu is on the edge of the screen when opened, I'm only not annoyed about lockpicking because I can see that the first digit indicates I've got over 50.... just that 5 was clear though.

I don't really know what to say. It's easy to usually fuss and say that Bethesda is dumb for not letting the game run with common PS4 settings, but I honestly can't say for sure when that does and doesn't work. Some people reported something similar with Bioshock collection. Maybe whatever tech they do these remasters or older engines in can't work with other resolutions than what it was programmed as. I get the feeling that wouldn't be the full truth, and they may have just goofed this up or taken some shortcut, but that's a theory as to why this might be the way it is. Either way, 4 weeks ago they at least acknowledged this problem, so maybe there's some small hope. 4 weeks ago though, so... eh. Either way for whatever its worth, I feel this was important to warn others. Don't go wasting money on a copy that's broken if you have an older (even 5-6 years) TV, until this gets fixed. Bethesda, please fix this.

Warrior down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...