Saturday, March 10, 2018

The sheep should be very afraid...


Spyro is all but confirmed to be making a comeback by now. To my honest shock, it's all three games, and even some supposed "cut content". I don't know exactly what that means, because out of all my spyro knowledge, there's not a lot of good talk on deleted stuff. It theoretically exists, but there's really not a lot with reasonable discussion to add in, short of say... Spyro 2 actually introducing a 4th homeworld as there was allegedly supposed to be one for each season. Still we don't need to talk about that, because the fact is whatever they do for "cut content", it's added stuff on top of the best possible trilogy I could ask to return. There's no problem with this, unless... like some of the old trailers, the sheep aren't going to be happy about this.


Spyro was a big deal to me, and all this news surrounding him has sort of resurged the inner hype-child inside of me over it. I went through wallpapers, music, related media, and fan projects, just generally checking up on all things spyro. As I've said in the past, Spyro was like my serious introduction into gaming. Not the first game, and not the first enjoyable experience, as prior I had my hands on things ranging from putt-putt, or Donkey Kong Country, to even... Turok 2? Seriously, I was playing a lot of different games, but Spyro was the first that truly sunk into my head as "wow, this is incredible". It was the first game that involved actual gameplay, was truly fun as a game, and I actually played until completion. Then I came back for more. and more. and more. As the trilogy progressed, I played each one dry, exhausting practically all aspects of it save for perhaps some super completitionist stuff I would only be back later for. However it isn't just nostalgia. Spyro was just all-around fantastic in many aspects. The music was incredible. The levels were pretty awesome, and often memorable. There was a good mixture of humor and charm to what it was capable of presenting, and the gameplay stretched a real simple premise pretty far and well. There was also the art style choice, which despite the crazy and colorful worlds of 3D platformers, nobody had yet to consistently make an enchanted fairlyland type theme and make it last and feel good for three whole games. That's not to of course say they were super consistent and never deviated, but whenever they did, you could believe the weird logic of these portals, and how easy it was just to go back to fairy + dragon land. It all still holds up as a generally great series, where even whiny haters of the genre have answers to their issues like camera options and a hover jump control mechanic (except the first game).

So here's the deal. If this thing actually gets announced this month, each month going forward, I'm going to try and work on a fun spyro article despite a potentially busy work schedule. I want to try and get something out there each month, or maybe two a month, and discuss the games. This can be anything from wishlist/hype stuff about the remake, to just something like the top 10 lists, or maybe even outside the main trilogy. Just fun stuff, and kind of a fun way to keep things going. Of course, the fact remains that things are still a rumor, and there's still the sad possibility this won't be happening. Still the fact is, this is the logical conclusion, a spyro remake should be on it's way. We've got everything from leaked Crash code about an intentional spyro reference, to voice actor and twitter accounts pointing us that way, all that in addition to just the sensible idea of making a spyro remake after a crash one. The more realistic concern, is if they can finally prove that anybody post-universal can make a proper Spyro model, and not butcher it to something horrible like the crooked nose LOS version, or the gremlin Skylanders guy. Just stick to the classic design guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...