Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Now playing: Transistor


Well back to back PS+ surprises. I'm still playing Rogue Legacy, though there was a major set back with a horrible cloud sync problem, but I'm playing it still on the Vita this time around. However what really has my attention now is Transistor, which actually has a linear system of progression that makes it a bit more compelling. Like Rogue Legacy I had some doubts. For starters its an indie RPG that wasn't Torchlight, so there's that. 2nd, it was made by the same guys as Bastion and praised by the same people who I could not figure out their real reasoning on. I guess they just somehow felt hooked on the neat gimmicks and the story, but when I tried it I thought it was incredibly boring. So I had low expectations on this one. Again though I'm glad to be surprised, I love it so far.

I think the thing is its not even a real RPG, at least by my idea of one. I suppose you got numbers, XP, and a familiar RPG perspective, but there's almost no progression choice or "role playing" at all. You're main option is to usually choose one of two seemingly random abilities you get per level, but the real deal is how you mix them up. You're given more choices and unlocks as you go on, but its a linear lock down system mostly meaning you've just got to get that XP to the fixed level to get that special slot open. So just grind for XP, right? Well actually, the levels are pretty darn linear. Its not like you can't find anything special or stumble into an extra on occasions, but 90% of your trip is down a line. I'm making this sound horrible, but believe me when I say I actually love it because it all pays off when the actual combat shows its true nature. There's a strong feeling of strategy within a strange system of real time and limited turn based combat, and its absolutely brilliant. You're turn based side is a high advantage as it freezes enemies when you execute the move, but it also uses up a certain limit and then you're left vulnerable depending on how much power you used during that phase. The balance is just perfect to, with recovery and yet limits being placed just right to keep the action going and keeping a tense pace. I love weaving in and out of battles with my custom picked array of attacks, trying to use the best of my turn based ability and then think of a back-up plan while it charges.



However I can't talk about this game without discussing the presentation. The world is fascinating in a digital cyber punk way, a mysterious political struggle & conspiracy, a talking sword (who I predict is a person trapped by the way things look), the power to absorb someone's personality as one of your combat perks, and the incredible music! It all comes together really well. I especially love the music and the creative world they built. The music is so haunting, yet as usual "haunting" for some reason feels relaxing and soothing to hear as a musical piece. The main character ties in a bit with music as she used to be a singer before having her voice supposedly stolen, and she can now only hum. Meanwhile you've got a dark blue and glowy cyber punk digital world policed by "administrators" of some kind, robots out to get you, and a highly democratic system that is still somehow kept in the dark by some sort of cover-up.  This is a place where people actually vote on the weather, Magicians are pretty much a black market hacker-like thing, and you're some character with a talking computer sword thing. On top of all that, each news terminal you go has an optional interaction and usually when you "leave a comment" its something quite humorous as your character usually shouts a rebellious thing before taking it back and retyping a more polite and neutral comment.

If I had any complaints with the game, its probably the indie restriction in its perspective (oh I so badly wanted to enjoy the beach scene as though it were a 3D platformer hubworld, but its just so shallow), the fact that there's no camera control whatsoever, and that sometimes maybe the game could benefit from being a bit more open in its levels. I kind of wonder how New Game+ works with the linear structure, but then again I'm a major R&C fan so its possible. I've also got to say that I hope leveling gets me more room for combat perks, as there's some kind of 16 point limit thing that is just a bit much for restriction, but I'm able to deal with it for now given my comfortable playstyle. However the biggest complaint would have to be the lack of this gem on the go. This is the kind of game I'd be sucked into on the Vita, and it should in theory work, but as of now the only PlayStation console you can get it on ends with a 4. That certainly is the best experience of course with a big screen, and the sword talking through your remote (which isn't on by default, I'd highly recommend every PS4 player correct this ASAP), but its still a shame I can't take it on the go when it would work. I also heard someone talk of ambitious ideas of how the touch screen could be well integrated. Maybe... I can keep my fingers crossed that its happening behind the scenes, and its taking longer because of touch screen programming. Who knows. Well back to more Transistor, this game is just great. I'm hoping I can focus on mostly just sticking through this until the end, I'm kind of tired of ADD-like game hopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...