Monday, June 15, 2015

Well Horizon probably stole Sony's E3 (for me at least)

My new wallpaper

Okay so simple dumb little disclaimer here: the title is a bit deceiving since I didn't sit through the confrence yet. However if it made me cease all progress on my bethesda confrence review [Edit: cancelled now, I just don't really care much for E3 recaps I guess. Better things have come along now, and I'd rather just discuss games shown than conference reviews.], and run to dedicate a whole blog article to it, you know its worth discussing and means something. I seriously don't think Sony's conference likely held something better. I know of the FF7 remake, last gaurdian, COD's stupid time exclusive nonsense, dreams, and none of it seems even close to as grand as what this felt like to me, and I hear Uncharted 4's showing was a bit of a mess, so all the giants toppled over compared to this one for me. Oh and as for R&C, they already showed plenty of that outside of the conference, so that fantastic gem is in its own little bubble for this discussion. I'll watch it all later to be sure, but for now take my word on it that this game is probably my favorite of sony's show. So... without further intro, lets discuss what's on the Horizon (couldn't resist).

One of the first big things to shock me was that seamless transition from CGI concept trailer to actual gameplay. This is E3, the time where teasers, heavily scripted features, and CGI is what you get for the majority of the way. So I didn't expect Guerrilla's big new IP announcement to do much with its time, but holy crap it makes good use of it by giving us the story and dropping us right in the middle of an epic gameplay scene. Sneaking through bushes, hitting weak points on prey-like robot animals, and then angering a massive T-rex type mech creature that you have to take down after a big fight. It was all so good! The rumors also paid off as true. A red haired woman taking on robotic dinosaurs with tribal gear in an open world RPG. Well... the genre wasn't all too visible, but more on that later.


The gameplay just looked incredible, and there was enough there worth revisiting the trailer to get more information. She collected items, shot a missile launcher off the big bot only to use it against him, light destruction going on, multiple ammo types, that awesome tether gun, and... well just look at it! I loved how talkative and energetic the character was as well. The weird thing is that none of it showed any signs of being an RPG. It was just really well done Lost planet 2 + Tomb Raider style 3rd person action, and it was incredible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the RPG elements aren't going to bog anything down, as I don't want that amazing experience crushed with stupid statistics and number crunching. The open world aspect on the other hand, I can see, and it makes me very curious. Thankfully its confirmed that you wont be some blank RPG character, the girl is there to stay as the true protagonist of the series and hopefully so will her talkative attitude.

So... in summary everything looks amazing. Great music, great gameplay, great character and concept for a great story, and just great everything. I love everything about what was shown here. The only thing disappointing me, aside from how long I need to wait, is the lack of details. Its so good that I just want to look more into it. I've got that killzone itch where I need to put the game under a microscope and inspect it. What are its mechanics like? How does the open world work? Are there normal guns? What kind of other enemies are there? How do the smaller enemies protect themselves or attack you? How does trapping work? Is stealth just contextual bushes, or something much better? Oh so many questions, and we haven't even seen the likely possibility that multiplayer is in which'll open another can of worms. No matter what though, the thing that is clear is that Guerrilla Games has me very impressed with their E3 showing. If this game meets the hype I have for it, or surpasses it, then I'll probably have to finally declare Guerrilla as one of my favorite developers now that they've taken a 2nd game franchise and prove it to be incredible in its quality like Killzone. So congratulations Guerrilla Games, you're the best of Sony's conference in E3.

I'll be watching this game with great anticipation
Edit: Also I'm going to make some story predictions now. Either the robots are an alien thing that harmed humanity, or in fact that emphasis of nature and new life is important; Humanity went overkill on industry and killed off a big part of nature. They ended up missing it, and tried to replace nature with artificial wild creatures, and it ended up weaponized and wrecking civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...