Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Should Playstation fans boycott the newer Tomb Raider?


So Tomb Raider is finally coming out for PS4. I haven't been shy about the fact that I'm fairly excited. I don't even know much about the game, but I kind of don't want to spoil it either. However as is the way of the internet, some people are salty about the timed exclusive shtick. I'll agree they're right to fuss, they're right to call it stupid, and that's not just from a selfish consumer prospect either, this was a very stupid and poorly handled deal as soon as its conception and further on how it was presented. However its so stupid that I'm willing to sit back and think they've already shot themselves in the foot. They bought a deal with the console the franchise sold the worst on, it bombed by AAA standards (not to mention its hard to sell well on one console over 3), and all this time they still haven't been able to release it for the platform it sold the best on. Maybe they benefited in some way only they can tell, but from my best view I'd say it wasn't a happy ending. So you know what, we got a late game, you gate some late and missed revenue, its all even. Furthermore we're getting what aught to have been expected; Essentially the PS4 port is a GOTY edition right out of the gate, giving us access to the DLC and even a couple fancy bits like VR mode. But... some people would disagree. They basically swear off the game, or pretend they won already with Uncharted because... that's somehow the same thing even though its not. Its a sour and awkward boycott.

Look, I can only give you my opinion and principles. I've stated before, and stand by the idea that a corporate's awful doings are only bad enough to kill the game for me if they directly stand in the way of my enjoyment. When you boil it down, its basic capitalism. Give me a product that is worth the money, and I will pay for it if its enticing enough. By signing a deal with timed exclusivity, they only delayed the game from getting to me. I wasn't going to go out of my way to buy an xbox one and support this crap, but that's where that bad deal ends as far as I'm concerned. Then its a matter of charging me fairly for an older game... and they did that by bundling it with more than just the base game you can find for $20-30 now (though PC is still ripped off at $60 with a pile of $10 a piece DLC. Digital distribution can be more expensive, you can admit that a little more often). The core experience is now no different than running out and buying a GOTY edition for a game you've been waiting on. As for how this deal may have deluded the game? It didn't in any meaningful way. The game is still a nice, well rated, story-driven 3rd person shooter adventure game. There's no DRM, no season passes walling off stuff that I deem necessary, and its still simply the latest Tomb Raider game. The game is still there, its a new experience for me, and its full of content, so I'll gladly pay $60 for it regardless of that stupid deal that was made in the past and is wearing off as such because its in the past.

I'm excited to move forward and enjoy gaming!

Again for boycotters I can't tell you that you're factually wrong on the whole. I can't sit there and tell you how you can't follow your principles. But I can and will point out why I think they're a bit ridiculous or overdramatic. You've essentially parted away with the practicality of enjoyment and let your idealism be driven by a console. You claim Square sold out, but the thing is they're a business, trying to make money even if that means they'll do stupid counter-productive things with it that sometimes don't work. They failed as far as I'm concerned, but at least they still tried to fill their role. You just tied yourself to a console and sat there like a goofball for no tangible benefit. You as a consumer are here to have fun and spend money on things that appeal to you, but you let this little spat get in the way of that simple idea. Because you couldn't get access to it upon release, you choose to side with some console war mentality. You may have even choose to delude yourself into saying that Uncharted 4 was the same thing (sure, but uh... you know Xbox already had gears? So they didn't need your Uncharted. See how that works? Its stupid). Call it what you want. You can say you don't support this behavior, which ironically means you make your own system look bad and less profitable to Square's eyes, or you can call it a save of your money... like you can avoiding any game, but you don't do that because we like to enjoy some of them rather than collect green paper. In the end you've gone out of the way to say that this past and gone deal of exclusivity has meant you're giving up a game you wanted. How about in parity, you start boycotting the long list of indie games that were on PC first. Yeah... no, don't do that, because that's silly to. This is something that you wanted (if not, then you're not actually boycotting anything), an adventure that would have probably put a smile on your face, but that's all gone because of a stupid deal square made to release it a year later on your preferred electronic box.

On top of that, you missed all the positives that came out of this. I'm not saying those justify Square's actions, but still lets face reality here. You have access to tons of reviews, various opinions, you're getting the master version of the game as it launches, and heck we probably wont have to sit there and wait on patches unless they goof up the port. Again none of this makes it right for Square to have done what they did, but its great that some bad things have up-sides. We're talking about a delay, not Square kidnapping someone, so you can relax and live a little. Let life go on, enjoy things, and if this game truly interests you... well, enjoy this to. Its a game, its meant to be played.

I'll probably be here october the 11th, having an adventure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...