Monday, August 4, 2014

Is 2015 going to be amazing for gaming?


Ok yeah we've still got a lot to go for 2014, and honestly there's a lot of great things coming this year. Far Cry 4, Devil's 3rd, Destiny if your into that kind of thing, of course smash bros, and for you lucky xbox owners there is Sunset Overdrive. With Mario Kart 8, Wolfenstien, some experiencing the Last of Us for the first time, and Dark Souls 2 I have to say its a good year already. Plus Watch Dogs really impressed me, as despite all of its super generic open world dressing the game really held more of an impact with me than your typical open world game. However as I look ahead I start to see a pattern..... there are a ridiculous amount of games that are tried and true "I LOVE IT" type experiences that I in some form grew up around all within the upcoming year. I'm not saying games I'm just excited for, or games that sound nice and ambitious, but multiple games that feel like they're catering to the very style I somehow loved and feel at home with. Somehow there also manages to be quite a few trendy things going on roughly around next year to. You have Hardline pushed back to 2015, The order which could be amazing yet sadly seems very on rails and too cinematic and serious, and ubisoft has a couple of games forcing an online function to properly enjoy. However.... a new MetalGearSolid and Ratchet and Clank on their own are good enough to have me locked away not giving a damn what people have to say about how "the future" of gaming lies in the stupid forced co-op of The division, or The Order's railed thrill pieces.

No seriously, given what I love just look at this bulletin list... screw it, I'm making this into a mini-hype list:

-Ratchet and Clank 1 remake, tying in with an animated movie release of the 2015 year =D. I'm ridiculously excited for both the movie and seeing how they handle a remake. R&C 1 really did need it, and the PS4 really needs an R&C game, and the whole world needs a movie. Actually I'll put it like this, if you could print R&C related material at its highest quality you might just be capable of finding world peace, and this is probably the closest we'll get to that perfect combination.

-Tomb Raider 2. Despite its flaws, I ended up really enjoying the game the 2nd time around and even though a lot of the heart and soul of the originals are torn there's still something about this release that catches my eye and reminds me of where I come from in gaming.... even if I wasn't directly able to enjoy any of the franchise until this very year. It still remains close icon to my idea of "gaming" and I'm feeling pretty ready to grab this one if they do well.

-Star Wars Battlefront. Ok actually I doubt I'll get this considering the publisher and developer. Its all a recipe for heavy grinding, community scrambling overpriced DLC, and a lack of bot support and user freedom. Also I bet the mechanics will be mixed up, and we'll be seeing a Battlefield with star wars skin and a 3rd person camera. but its worth pointing out this was a big deal to me at a younger age and now just look at it.... its coming along with the rest of this list!

-Metal Gear Solid 5. MGS2&3 were probably among the deepest, cheesiest, longest, and most content packed game I played within the 1st decade and beyond of my life, especially if you were to narrow it down to just single player friendly games. To this day those two remain absolute hardcore masterpieces in the back of my head, and while MGS4 missed a beat I can safely say after enjoying ground zeroes I feel like we're back on track and able to expect ridiculously high standards of the upcoming 5th game. I just wish it didn't pull all the garbage streamline crap it did, but even so it was ridiculously familiar fun within ground zeroes and I cannot take my own doubts seriously with this game (and the open world aspect prevents it from being the same issue I have with MGS4). This game should be capable of blowing your mind every hour or two, so come prepared.

-Rumors of Dishonored 2 are circling complete with a box art. Honestly you would have had me at "Arkane is working on something". Maybe this is a cop-out since its rumors, but I'll be eyeing gamescon and I think expecting a late 2015 release isn't entirely unreasonable if this is going to really happen. Anyways the reason this is up here despite it being a recent game is that it plays out exactly as the ideal stealth system that has me loving a game like MGS, but also plays up with a more interesting fictional world with the sort of charm I'd expect from the team that brought me the 1st RPG I actually cared about: Dark Messiah. That and the collectibles, the eccentric character designs, the experimental hardcore nature the mechanics design, etc... it all just feels like one of those games that justifies "why I love games". Its fills me with so much wonder, creativity, and excitement both from the world and art that was already created and from all the input you as a player has.

-Killz- .....oh darn, there's no new killzone games. There's everything perfect except Killzone. There's an addictive 3D platformer-ish game, a super amazing stealth game (maybe 2), a good adventure game, but no big awesome FPS I can trust or look forward to mechanically. Whoops, forgot about a little something called:
BRING IT ON!
I remember reading the details for the first time and actually starting to feel teary eyed... yes being literal, I was actually holding back a small emotional burst of joy tears from video game news. I guess you could call me pathetic with that, but honestly it means a company is really truly doing something good. Doom is getting a return to roots entry sounds incredible. While Doom specifically had little to do with my younger gaming, the concept of an old school shooter is suiting to what this sounds like. Maybe that wouldn't be enough on its own, but with Bethesda's quality single player route, Wolfenstiens example, and an industrial creature themed teaser leading the reveal, I can say this is all perfect for the type of shooter I have in mind as a comforting FPS that has me right to the roots of what I love about this genre. The reveal reception is positive, and the details all point in the direction of the perfect ideal "next-gen" FPS experience. Maximum gore, new immersive mechanics that encourage creative take-downs, a space marine landscape re-imagined on a brand new engine with new visuals, and best of all this is all built on the same mechanics I think we can all agree make a great FPS. If multiplayer somehow ends up just as good as the campaign sounds, this could literally rival my spot for best FPS, but honestly I'm jumping the gun waaaaaay too early to be saying such stuff. Instead my actual anticipation (until shown more) is that this will simply be an amazing FPS I wont miss out on.... but hey, that's still quite an achievement when all I know is some rough details of the mechanics by word of mouth. Bethesda, please keep up the good work, and I will keep my fingers crossed that you DO indeed have a high quality Arkane game on the way to officially cement your status as the best non-platform publisher ever.
________________________________________

Ok list is done. I still haven't gone into No Man's Sky, bloodborne, Uncharted 4, the possibility that The Order turns out amazing, and there's more I'm sure I'm forgetting. The list was just including games that seemed like a big piece of what I grew up around, those other 4 games could very well just fit in as successfully ambitious games that I trust may be fun based off recent gaming habits. Just look at this upcoming year! With the exception of Battlefront, I really wouldn't mind going Collector's edition on these games if I had the money to do so (and assuming they have worthy CEs of course, I doubt some like R&C will though). This all just looks like a recipe for one of the best years in a while. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, and I want to let it be clear that I do know any of these games can go wrong, but all of them feel like they have some level of trust along side their high expectations. So much trust and memories come along with thinking about the potential of next year's releases that honestly I just had to put this article together and share it... even if it gets like no views.  A quality Ratchet and Clank or  game in its own right would be something to cry out cheers about as a good time for gaming, but all of the above put together in the same year.... its a lot of joy. I would almost fear a drought afterwards, but honestly with Awesomenaughts and Tomb Raider Underworld on my play list right now I have to say I'm sure I'll find a way to sit back and relax through non-interesting times. Besides there's still Guerrilla's new IP which will probably be 2016,  and the likelyhood that Arkane's next game (whether it be dishonored 2 or something else) will be around that period as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft had me loving some game they published again as they seem to hit one or two great games a year with me.

This is just my own personal stuff on its own, if your a big social online gamer, Nintendo fan, sports/racing gamer, indie gamer, or MMO fan then you also have a hell of a lot of cool stuff ahead. Honestly it just surprises me so much though because lately we've been seeing many of the "best years" litered with self-critical, cinematic, and games that just take themselves so seriously. All that in addition to the feeling that various sub-genres I loved just seemed to be close to dead. Now with the new generation though its like everyone is on hallow ground and trying to go back and see what sticks. People aren't doing just trends, but instead there's a big force of people catering to niche guys, trying out old lost values again, and people who are more experienced to know that being COD with another IP doesn't work. On top of that indies and Dark Souls have made it clear that you can challenge your audience again, or give them diverse mechanics to shake things up in interesting ways and people wont shy away from it. So it feels like alongside the serious games (which still exist and have their values well in place as they are), we have a big wave of just plain fun games that are supposed to test the waters and boundaries of the new systems and the audiences playing them. Whether it holds up like this or not, I'm not sure, but I'm going to really enjoy the time while its here. So I think its safe to say from now until 2016, its good to be a gamer of any kind.

Good adventures on the horizon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too good for fun

Before I even start, I know in some capacity this article is either silly, or ironically getting worked up in semantics as a resp...